Are you looking for an easy side dish for chapathi? Then, Kadai mushroom is ideal to go!! Back after a refreshing and chilling vacation from Southern Tip of India – Kanyakumari. Great climate and we got drenched in rain.
It’s been quite a long time since we had good rain in Chennai. Unfortunately, our blooming vegetable garden has dried up completely due to hot weather and water scarcity. It feels like the summer is at its crowning end this time.
Kadai Mushroom Recipes – Side Dish for Chapathi:
Kadai Mushroom or Karahi Mushroom is a simple and spicy recipe cooked with traditional Indian spices. It can be made as semi-gravy for Jeera rice or as a dry masala for rotis. Here’s a recipe for it.
Mushrooms – 1 cup
Capsicum / Bell Pepper – 1½ cup
Onion – 3
Tomato – 2
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Garlic pods – 5 Nos.
Coriander leaves – A few sprigs
Kashmiri Chilly Powder – 1½ tsp.
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp.
Turmeric Powder – ½ tsp.
Pepper Powder – ½ tsp.
Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp.
Salt to taste
Oil – 2 tbsp.
Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Cardamom – 2
Cloves – 2
Jeera seeds – 1/2 tsp.
Bay leaf – 1
HOW TO MAKE KADAI MUSHROOM RECIPE
- Clean and finely chop the mushrooms, capsicums, tomatoes, coriander leaves and onions. Grind the ginger and garlic into a coarse paste. Keep them aside separately.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the onions. Saute it until turns a golden color. Now, add the tomatoes and sauté them until the raw smell leaves. Turn off the heat, once it starts to leave oil. Grind it into a coarse paste and keep it aside.
- In a pan, heat oil and temper jeera seeds, cinnamon stick, cardamom, cloves, and bay leaf. Add ground paste and sauté it for a while.
- Add the ginger – garlic paste and sauté it until the oil leaves the sides.
- Add the chopped capsicums and mushrooms and give a gentle stir. Cover the pan with a lid and cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add all the powder and stir it well. Add salt to taste and cover it with a lid and cook the vegetables for 8 – 10 minutes in simmer.
- Finally, garnish with chopped coriander leaves before removing them from the heat.
- Adding ginger and garlic while sautéing onions and tomatoes enriches its flavor.
- Saute the mushrooms and capsicums separately in butter for a crispy texture. Then, add it to the gravy.
Serve hot with idiyappam or chappathis. It’s a perfect side dish for chapathi!